Skip to main content

Walnut valley Unified School District

Main Menu Toggle
Our motto is KIDS FIRST... Every Student, Every Day!   Walnut Valley USD is proud to be a National Schools to Watch District with numerous National Blue Ribbon, California Gold Ribbon, and California Distinguished School awards. 
F-1 Student Visas(I-20) » General Information

General Information

What is the F-1 Visa?

The F-1 Visa is a nonimmigrant (temporary) US Visa for international students (foreign students) in colleges, universities, seminaries, conservatories, academic high schools, other academic institutions, or in language training.

You will need a different visa if you wish to pursue nonacademic or vocational studies.  Please review the Department of Homeland Security website for the various types of visas. 

Am I Eligible for an F-1 Visa?

Please review the Student Exchange and Visitor Program site through ICE where “Student Process Steps: How to Navigate the U.S. Immigration System” is outlined.

Limits on Attending Publicly Funded Schools
 If you wish to attend "public" high school (grades 9-11) in the United States on an F-1 Visa:

  • You must submit evidence that the local school district has been reimbursed in advance for the unsubsidized per capita cost of the education.
  • Your attendance cannot exceed a total of 12 months.
  • F-1 Visa international students are prohibited from attending public elementary schools and publicly funded adult education programs in the United States.

International students attending "private" schools, or in privately funded adult education or language programs, are not subject to these requirements.

Also, please be aware that these requirements affect only international students who obtain F-1 Student Visas (those to whom Form I-20 would be issued). These requirements do not affect international students in any other status, for example exchange students (who hold J-1 Visa status), or dependents of foreign nationals in the United States on long-term visas (students whose parents are here as diplomats, researchers or foreign workers).